After its days
on the Freedom Train, the locomotive was sold to the GM&O Railroad
and numbered 292. While on the railroad the loco wore a pair of
large bronze plaques noting its service on the Freedom Train. The
locomotive was eventually scrapped by the railroad, but the bronze
plaques it wore on the GM&O denoting its work as the
Freedom Train locomotive still exist. One of the eagles
from its sides has apparently survived as well.
It is the only
locomotive ever to operate in every state in the Union (48 at the
time). This classic locomotive type disappeared from the US in 1978
when the last four units were sold to Mexico. There were none in
US Museums; none in storage; none at all. In 2000, two of the four
were repatriated. One of those, former Delaware & Hudson #18,
is being restored as Nickel
Plate Road #190.
Seen here in
a ceremony handing the locomotive over to the GM&O, the Girl
Scouts of Schenectady presented an American Flag to accompany the
locomotive. Girl Scout Carol Snyder holds the flag along with Mayor
Owen Begley as Alco plant manager J.J. Smith points the the new
bornze plaque on the side of the locomotive.
of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen's Magazine, May 1949.